V-Pro discussion

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 09:58:03 -0600

Hi Del,
          That figure was a calculated guess, from the pile of racked
plates, and the pile of scrap for remelt, similar in both places. Given the
nature of grey cast, I think the 0.4% claim of Kelly is not believable.
Although the grand rejects is significantly higher than the verticals.
The vertical production has been the bread and butter.
At the Yamaha plant they were quite open about the high reject rate, in
fact almost proud, the figure wsa given in very vague terms. They were
stressing theire QC standards and justifying the price difference, so the
figure could well be inflated.
I  agree with you, Re Kelly, many more of the vertical plates should be
recycled. I think that is one of the reasons that Baldwin is now in the
foundry business.

Roger

> >The differences in ductility are significant. The sand cast area where the
>> CF3 - S4 -S6 and one vertical model, (not available in the US ) had the
>> usual 10% scrap failure rate that you would find at the Kelly foundry.
>
>10%?  That is WAY higher than it was -- or, at least, than it was claimed --
>back when we were dealing with Kelly.  Or when I visited the foundry for
>Baldwin.  It fairness, though, it should have been higher.  Some of the
>plates we were shipped probably should have been scrapped.  Or repaired
>there before they were shipped.
>
>Del

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre