Steinway query

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:25:21 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/99 9:49:17 PM !!!First Boot!!!, rbeaton@initco.net
writes:

<< Hi all...
 I have an opportunity to pick up an old  black Steinway upright #12183
(1882)
 It is still in original condition...that is no modifications.  Case needs
refinishing, quite a few ivoies chipped, one treble hammer broken, evidence
of several strings in treble that have been repaired, middle pedal loose from
floor.   It is a bit sharp of A=440.  It is in a church and I suppose it was
donated many years ago, but they are not using it and have no need for it.
 Does anyone have any idea what this thing is worth?  Would a rebuilder
somewhere be interested?
 Dick RPT Helena MT >>

Dick:

I have found those old Steinwys to be solid. Without replacing he parts, and
just fixing what is wrong, will make this a nice instrumnet for someone to
practice on. Whether it is worth rebuilding is another story. How much do you
charge to do that kind of work? Will you be able to sell the for that much
(or more) money?

I would offer $500 for the piano.

Willem Blees