Dammp Chaser Question

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:57:24 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/99 12:34:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time, you write:

<< Any Field Experts having trouble getting the new snap-on outlet in the 6
 part systems to work quickly or at all ???
 joe morocco
 needham ma >>

I found them very difficult to get to close and work, even with pliers so I
don't use them, I just buy a low cost adapter from a hardware store, usually
$1.00 or less the way I had been doing for years.

While I think the Dampp-Chaser products are great and they are effective in
taking the edge off of the very wide swings from low to high of the Upper
Midwest climate, I personally don't like that adapter.  I do concede however
that it may just take some getting used to.  I would prefer the little
two-outlet adapter that they used to use for the Low-Water-Level Warning
light years ago or simply supplying the convenient three-outlet adapter that
I now have to buy at the hardware store.

Another problem which the company has ignored all along is that it is
technically against the law to install a Dampp-Chaser system per instruction
in any public place, especially in public schools and nursing homes, the
places where they are most needed.  The relatively short, light duty cord
*must* have an extension cord to reach the outlet.  This is absolutely
forbidden by local ordinance.

I, the "field expert" have installed so many of these systems that I really
lost count years ago have found that time and again, these systems were
unplugged and inoperative because a building inspector said that it cannot be
allowed.  I have taken to buying one of those 25 foot extension cords and
making the connection and securing it in a place where "the sun don't shine"
and where the building inspector cannot see it and running that out of the
piano.

Once, a building inspector caught me though and said that the cord must be
attached using a junction box, simply plugging it in and securing the two
ends with the supplied clips just wouldn't do.  And since I am not, nor do I
plan to become a licensed electrician, I am not allowed to do that.  So, that
nursing home piano still goes 30 cents flat in Winter and 30 cents sharp in
Summer.  They have it tuned faithfully every three years or so, whether it
needs it or not.

I have always been told when I inquired about this problem when visiting the
Dampp-Chaser booth at a convention something to the effect,  "Well we figure
you guys can buy that kind of stuff at a hardware store".  And so I do and
charge for it but I am still forced to "perform an illegal operation" because
of it (as my computer screen often says) and I fear that I may also be "shut
down for it".

So how about it you Dampp-Chaser guys?  How about some heavy duty "public
place" long cords of varying lengths and some cord runners?  The more of this
stuff you guys make and distribute, the bigger the business and the more
profit, right?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin