(Fwd) Piano Technician Position

Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:44:43 -0500

Hi all,

>> 3/4 time is.... 30 hours per week X 50 weeks =1500 hrs per year or $15
>> dollars an hour.   This is without any expenses to speak of for 'anything'
>> but personal tools.

>For the remaining 1/4 time on your own you incur all the other expenses.

>>    To this one could reasonably expect to add 3 or 4 "outside" tunings per
>> week and then we come to a very livable income don't we?

That's nice to think/dream about, Jim, but how long would the new kid on
the block need to build up a clientele large enough to supply that constant
level of "outside" income? (Instant 150-200 pianos!) If said person is
succeeding someone, there may be a residual faculty/cognisenti customer
base just waiting.  If this a brand new position, the newbie will be
competing with the established locals who may or may not have any "excess"
customers. ;-}

Granted, I'm in a miniscule market, but even "inheriting" the previous
tuners customers and faculty it took a number of years before I had enough
business to make a noticable difference in my overall income.

i.e. - The person who takes the position had better figure a budget to live
on only the Univ. salary.

>I enjoy disagreeing with you, Jim.
>Paul S. Larudee, RPT

Me, too.