fully disclosed Yamaha lover questions Petrof

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:59:17 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/99 6:01:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time, mikep@crt.com
writes:

<<  I believe that the actions in a Petrof are Renner so how does
 this relate to the tolerances of the actions.  I know that the action is
 installed on a Petrof frame but I'm not sure I understand if that has
 anything to do with the tolerances you mentioned.  I believe that Petrof
 also brings the moisture content into that range.   >>

They are not Renner... they are Renner parts assembled by their people.  BIG
diference!

You asked why others don't use the Vacumme process.  The Steinway company
does use it in their Boston line.  It is not cost effective for them to build
a million dollar plant for the less than 3000 pianos per year though.  The
pianos you named are companies that make relatively few pianos.

>>The Petrof dealer would say that they use many of the same manufacturing
techniques these other manufactures use.<<

They do use the same basic techniques... but most will tell you that Yamaha
has perfected the methods, while Petrof still leaves much room for
improvement.

>>I'm not saying Yamaha is a bad piano I just can't justify the extra expense
of nominal improvements. What I mean by nominal is that I personally can not
distinguish the difference.<<

You have asked for expert opinions, and the overwhelming opinion seems to be
in favor of Yamaha, or the like, as aposed to the Petrof...  the jury is
still out on the Petrof's long term quality.

Yamaha has a 100 plus year history in the piano business and has leaded the
industry for decades.  My friend, that is good enough for me.  Good luck on
whatever brand you decide on.

Ed Tomlinson