(Fwd) Piano Technician Position

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:48:38 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/1999 6:31:54 AM, hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu quoted:

<<" bottom fishing on price to see if they can scare anything up.
Probably will ">>

While I kinda agree with this sentiment I don't needfully take the 'somewhat'
negative view reflected in most posts on this thread.  It is easy to be
cynical about such matters.... but looked at another way it will be a
blessing for 'someone', possibly:-)

  For a tech who has been in the field a few years and has never quite gotten
off the ground...for whatever reason,  people skills, work habits,
established techs too numerous in area, etc............but whose skills are
average-to better, this could be exactly what is needed at that point in
their professional life. For those of us who have done/are doing Univ. work
we know that if people skills or work habits are lacking in some areas they
will/must be improved in a Univ situation "OR ELSE" :-)

  Low salary level for 3/4 time at 22.5K = 30K full time and is that really
sooo bad?
3/4 time is.... 30 hours per week X 50 weeks =1500 hrs per year or $15
dollars an hour.   This is without any expenses to speak of for 'anything'
but personal tools.

   To this one could reasonably expect to add 3 or 4 "outside" tunings per
week and then we come to a very livable income don't we?  At $50 per tuning
and using 3 tunings per week X 50 weeks =7.5K
Now taking the 22.5K base and adding the 7.5% SEP tax to it gives us a figure
of 24.187K and adding the 7.5K (extra outside tuning) would give us 31.687K
per year without any expenses to speak of.....put another way this is the
amount one would needfully earn AFTER EXPENSES, before taxes, in a private
shop situation to equal the position at Binghamton U.

  Now figuring 3/4 time for the Univ. work and 2 hours per tuning for the
outside work that would give us an average of 36 hours per week of 'work
time'.........
36 (hours) X 50 (weeks)= 1800 hrs of work time per year.......
22.5K + 7.5K =30K/1800 = 16.67 per hour
Now this ain't living in the lap of luxury but it ain't "chump' change either
:-)

  Also Binghamton is part of the State of NY University system and there will
be, by State law, 'some' collateral employee benefits...just what I couldn't
say but there will be some.  In addition as part of the faculty(?).....
Education/Continuing Education possibilities are there for the taking by the
tech at a very reduced cost, if any costs at all.

  So would this position be attractive to some of us? No, of course not...at
least not in the position we are in now :-)   Can we 'all' honestly say that
it would not have been 'very' attractive to us at some point early in our
tech lives...I kinda doubt it.

Just another point of view.
Jim Bryant (FL)