fully disclosed Yamaha lover questions Petrof

Perik, Mike mikep@crt.com
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:30:20 -0500

Again it's my opinion that considering my price constraints and that I'm not
a piano virtuoso or a seasoned piano technician the differences between a
Yamaha and a Petrof other than possibly their distinct initial tone are not
perceivable.  I believe that the actions in a Petrof are Renner so how does
this relate to the tolerances of the actions.  I know that the action is
installed on a Petrof frame but I'm not sure I understand if that has
anything to do with the tolerances you mentioned.  I believe that Petrof
also brings the moisture content into that range.

Some of these arguments that you give for Yamaha seem to the same as what I
heard from the Yamaha salesman I spoke to.  If the Vacuum Shield Mold
Process is so superior why aren't the Steinways, Bosendorfs, M&H, Bechstein,
etc. using it also.
The Petrof dealer would say that they use many of the same manufacturing
techniques these other manufactures use.

I'm not saying Yamaha is a bad piano I just can't justify the extra expense
of nominal improvements. What I mean by nominal is that I personally can not
distinguish the difference.

My research continues, I just hope I can get good enough in the next couple
of months to actually be able to sit down an play a little.  It's extremely
intimidating to go into a piano store and attempt to plunk around on a
piano.

Mike