analogies

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:51:35 -0700

I explain to the customer that I can only do a "fine tuning"
when I can make tiny adjustments to each string's tension
while tuning.  I also ask them to imagine they were going to
paint a wall white.  If the wall was in good condition and close
in color to white they might very well be able to put on one
coat and it would look great.  But if it was purple or such it
would take a couple of passes to make it white.  This is what I
the tuner am faced when I come to a piano that is off from
pitch.  I need to rough tune or prime the piano/wall before the
final tuning/coat of paint.  I have never been totally happy with
this analogy but the customer understands as most have
painted a purple wall...: }