fully disclosed Yamaha lover questions Petrof

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:50:32 EDT

<< It's my opinion at this moment is that the Petrof pianos give me a lot for
 the price and that there is nothing measurably noticeable gained by
 purchasing a C2/C3 for the price difference.  I believe that if I find a
 reputable piano store that preps the Petrof properly I have lost nothing.

 Mike >>

That is not my opinion.  A piano made by the worlds #1 piano manufacturer in
comparison to a former communist block country with problems such as the ones
listed before in other posts.... there is no comparison in the product.
Fact, Yamaha has developed the best casting methods in the industry when it
comes to the piano plate.  It cost them about $20 million to build and
research for the manufacturing of the first Vacuum Shield Mold Processed
plate.  All other manufacturers that use this method paid less than half that
after Yamaha perfected the technology.  Yamaha holds two-thousandths of an
inch tolerances in the manufacturing of their actions.  Petrof doesn't come
close to that.  A C2/3 would be the better choice by a long shot.  The
soundboard is quarter sawn and the moisture content of the wood is taken to a
5-8% range before woods are used in the manufacturing.  The Petrof doesn't
keep standards such as these.  Longevity of that product would be suspect
when comparing to a 1957 Yamaha grand I just serviced that the action played
like new and the hammers needed shaping and a little regulation and voicing,
after which I could not believe how good this 5' 7" piano sounded.  You won't
hear any praising of a 40 year old Petrof like that.  I would not want to buy
a piano I "thought" was getting "better" in comparison to one that has lead
the industry for decades.

I could go on and on but I would be accused of having a bias.  ( by the way
thanks Yamaha for the trip to Japan last year to see the factory, that was
great! )

I am a self proclaimed Yamaha lover and a tech/salesman of same said product.
 That, however, does not change the facts that Yamaha is still and will
remain for some time the undisputed leader in the price range you speak of.

One mans opinion,

Ed Tomlinson
Touchstone Award winner