analogies

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:39:33 -0400

Analogies -- sometimes the only way to reach the thinking abilities of
customers.

Here in car-country, I've had to come up with a bunch of them to explain
piano service as if I am servicing their cars.

Action regulation = working on steering and suspension, alignment
Tuning = tune-up ...
Dampers = brakes

->There's no point having an engine that runs beautifully if the car can't
go anywhere because of problems in the other systems.

But to some people, pianos are like pets, very much members of the family,
occupying prime space in the living room.

Pitch raise and tuning = Obedience training (how it wants to go back to its
comfort zone)
Aligning action parts = Orthodontistry
Regulation = chiropractic
Voicing = accupuncture (and sometimes chemotherapy)
Dealer courtesy call = well-baby check up

Oh yes, I've had some pianos try to throw me off the bench, others
patiently waiting for case parts stroking, and so on.

Just my .02 deviation

Z! Reinhardt RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net