more bearing lubricants

Carman Gentile cgpiano@webtv.net
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 13:14:36 -0700 (PDT)

    My question on bearing lubricants has raised two issues:

1. Which lubricants are appropriate.
2. It is proper or desirable to use ANY lubricant at all.

    In our local PTG chapter, in which I am very active, one of
our _senior_ members is a vigorous advocate of "Joy's Rust-Solv".

    Also, it is well understood that silicone based lubricants
should NEVER be used since experience has shown that it "creeps" along
the strings to contaminate the pinblock and/or the dampers.

    I, for one, base my decisions on facts and experience; not
on arguments.

    This is why this web site is so valuable to me and why I
consult you, my colleagues, for your opinions based upon your
experiences.

    Lubricating the bearings may be "pushing the envelope" and
if the practice is inappropriate then experience will prove that.

    Indeed, some members of our list may still frown upon "voice
steaming" hammers but so far experience has proven its efficacy.

    If and when facts, born of experience, prove that certain
lubricants should not be used on string bearings. I will be among those
who will condemn the practice.

Carman Gentile RPT
Redwood Chapter