analogies

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:09:57 -0500

Goss,
At 11:28 8/12/99 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi John,
>Good ones to ponder.
>Pitch raising is like trying to hit a moving target. The flatter it is
>like the faster the target is moving..........>And especially working here
in a farm community they understand the concept of making a barbed wire gate.

On Pitch Raising:
--or--
Why I have to go over it more than once and therefore it costs more money.

I'm in a rural area, too, but I use the example of tightening lines between
clothes poles. I say that if you pull the first line up where you want it,
then pull the second up, the first will have dropped.  Pull up a third and
both the others will be lower.  Instead of trying to even out only 4 or 6
lines, imagine well over 200 strings playing that game.  Therefore I have
to pull ALL of them up a first time just to get them in the neighborhood -
_then_ maybe I can tune.

-------

On Ear plugs.
--or--
How can you hear with those things in?

How can an airline pilot see wearing darkglasses?  Both darkglasses and
earplugs are designed to avoid sensory overload.  The sharp blows necessary
are like strobe lights or flashbulbs going off in front of your face, it
doesn't take too many before you can't see at all.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician 	mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College				(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

Early to rise, and early to bed,