Restring Nut

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:29:16 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> > Seems like no amount of scaleing will help a bad
> >soundboard, yet a good soundboard will help a bad scale.
>
> Very true, but what methods are you using to differentiate between the two
> when you are guessing about both? You have a whole lot better chance of
> reaching valid conclusions extrapolating from a known and an unknown than
> you do from two unknowns. Besides, would you really want to put a good
> soundboard under a bad scale?
>
>  Ron N

Well... grin.. of course I wouldnt want to put a bad scale on a bad
soundboard. In this instance however, I am trying to see if I can actually
predict in very general terms the outcome, soundwise of making certain
decisions, based on a few observations. You've followed this post so I wont
repeat those. This is to see if I have understood that which I have read (and
assumes I have made the proper observations, and reacted accordingly). It is
my first such experiment in rebuilding. If this is successful at all, then
well I am off to a good start and need to pour into both reading and method. I
will do as you suggest and get started looking into scale design.

I am pretty conservative (carefull) by nature in my work. I have this like,
need to feel I understand pretty well the basic concepts of a thing before I
am willing to act. Keeps me out of trouble. By Monday I will know if there was
any improvement in the sound, and I will report back to you about it. In the
meantime I am going to measure the existing scale and run this Scala program
to see what I can find out.

By the way... grin.. I am having a ball ! And I am enjoying the heck out of
all the info written these past days on Impedance matching. Puts more
perspective on the article Conklin wrote. Keep it coming.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway