Restring Nut

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:38:10 -0500 (CDT)

>Actually I have a stringing program somewhere in my puter files. I have
looked at it
>and couldnt make hide nor tails out of it. Not to mention not really
knowing what
>different parameters result in what kinds of sound effects. It seems like one
>subject to talk of inharmonicity, and another to know what kinds of
tensions should
>be applied to different kinds of soundboard situations. Since until
recently I knew
>nothing of either I have been hesitant to use the program.
>

>Richard Brekne
>I.C.P.T.G.  N.T.P.F.
>Bergen, Norway

Use the program and find out something about both. The first thing it ought
to tell you, after you've put in all the speaking lengths, core, and wrap
info, is how the tension and inharmonicity is distributed through the piano.
The simplistic idea of rescaling is mostly smoothing and connecting the
tension, impedance, and inharmonicity curves through the breaks without
deviating much from the tensions that were already there. That will make a
noticeable difference in how the piano sounds and tunes. After you get a
feel for how it works, you can play around more. You have to familiarize
yourself with "A", before "B" will make sense. Do a few scales for the
experience. You don't have to use them in pianos to learn from them. What
program have you got there, or is it a spreadsheet worksheet?

 Ron N