Petrof Grand

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:47:31 -0600

At 04:16 PM 8/11/1999 +0200, Richard wrote to Dave:

>> Next week I am tuning a Petrof Grand.  I would let you know how it goes.
>>

>Please do.. how old is it, how much use does it get ?

I regularly service a 1961 model III grand that is one of my favourite pianos.
It appears to have been built with some care, as there is absolutely no
evidence of any of the construction problems some people describe with Petrofs.
The bridges and soundboard are excellent in spite of being here on the high
prairies for 30 years. The action is fairly light and even and even the ivory
work on the keys is intact and lovely. The bass is very clear, although I've
noticed it deteriorating a little in the last 10 years as the strings have been
going a little dead. The pins are also now a little more loose than I like, but
it holds a tuning very well and they aren't difficult to set. There are very
few false beats in the high treble and none of them are difficult to work
around. This piano is played every day by a reasonably accomplished elderly
musician with a very delicate touch.

It's the only Petrof I look after of that vintage so I have nothing to compare
it with. I do service some newer verticals though, and they haven't been up to
the standards of this 1961 Model III.

                        John

John Musselwhite, RPT -  Calgary, Alberta Canada
Registered Piano Technician   http://www.musselwhite.com
email: john@musselwhite.com - blues@musselwhite.com