Temperaments

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:41:52 -0500

Ed Foote wrote:

"This is a question I have asked myself, so now I will ask the list to
consider it. Could key color, no matter how slight, be an important missing
ingredient and its absence partially responsible for the piano's long slide
from dominion? I wonder if a retune is a necessity to get out in front
again. "

When orchestras or stringed instruments play, or a capella choirs sing,
there is no perceptible key color as they try to play some form of "just"
intonation.  I know their "just" is as imperfect as our ET, but that is
their goal.  I guess listening to ET has perverted me.  I like it!  I'd love
to do some HTs for people just for the variety and for the marketing aspect,
but I don't want it on my piano.  The thirds of ET are just what I like.
Slower thirds of the simple keys with an HT are OK - different but OK - but
the really fast thirds of the keys I like (B, E, F#, A-flat) are not
exciting to me, just annoying.

I'd like to do an HT on your piano, just not mine.

dave
David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts