Impedance Matching... John

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:11:03 -0400

 Hi John,

Would you mind expounding upon these two things a bit more?

 >7: Tapering the edges of the panel and scalloping the ribs.

I've known of a number of people who taper certain parts of the panel,
usually around the nose end, in an effort to make the board less 'clamped'
by the stationary rim.  I'm curious about scalloping the ribs?  It's not a
term I've been familiar with.  Is that the portion on the end where it's cut
out thin, as in 1/4" thick or so?  I've wondered how varying the length of
this 'tail' would affect the way a board speaks, especially in the upper
treble end of the piano.

  11: the grain direction of the panel and the angle and spacing of the
  >ribs.

In most of the panels I've seen, the grain of the panel appears to have been
placed so that the grain is pretty much parallel with the general direction
of the long bridge, and the ribs usually are not too far from 90 deg. from
the grain direction.  I'm curious if you have some general kinds of thoughts
as to what happens when those things are moved from the 'norms', or whether
one can 'tweek' those positions.

Very interesting stuff!  Thanks for your input.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net