Rebuilding grands...Clark

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:40:39 -0100

Brian,

The approved estimate includes  new case parts, new hammers and shanks,
fabricating about 10 new wippens and jacks while restoring the remaining
action parts. I'm replacing the two-piece pinblock, both blocks more
complicated than usual, and rescaling the bass. Finish work only on the
new parts. I may need to augment the original quote to include new
bridge caps, but the customer was delighted by the chance of restoring
the case to original, so...

The board came out quite easily in about 30 minutes - I've had a lot of
practice from junking uprights for materials to use in new instruments
and I can usually get them out fairly intact  with cauls, hammers,
chisels and a mix of hot water and acetic acid in a spray bottle. This
one splintered in two places only, both easily repaired.

This will be my first attempt at re-ribbing a piano; I will put shorter
ribs in place of the fanned originals and then place additional ribs
between them - so probably 10 in all. The idea is to warm the shop into
replacing soundboards in-house. (BTW, re-ribbing with the board in place
on a Chickering could be a nightmare with their style of bracing)

I think the estimate came out around $4600, though I got accused of
giving the new legs away (they, too, are practice for the 6 1840's
Sheraton-style grand legs I'll be making this winter).

I live in Greenville, N.H. - formerly Old Mason Village, birthplace of
Jonas Chickering.

Cheers,

Clark Panaccione