Economics of rebuilding grands

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:53:39 -0100

A customer shipped us a 1907 Chickering 121 Quarter Grand to rebuild a
few months ago - he hadn't seen it, and had no information on it, as in
ser#, model, condition. I don't know whether we'd given him a quote on
the job at that time (like maybe, "If it's a 123, I'm not too excited
about rebuilding it"). We set up the piano and gave him an estimate a
few weeks ago, including "unmodernizing" the case which has new, ugly
legs, lyre, and no mouldings.

It had bearing in the high treble and bass, barely and nowhere else. The
soundboard which has 5 ribs total looked bad with the strings on, worse
with them off: a crack behind the bridge root starting at #59 at the
first break on the long bridge, both bridges unglued at their ends, and
the board unglued from the rim mostly along the spine but in a few other
places as well.

The soundboard is now out and is visibly crowned the wrong way. Ah,
Chickering...

Anyways, aside from learning about re-ribbing, I think it still will
prove a profitable job.

Clark Panaccione