Economics of rebuilding grands ...Roger

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 19:32:45 -0500

Brian,

It all depends on the level of work, amount of time, and what expected
earnings are.  I personally try to make rebuilds look factory.  I don't
always succeed, but I try.  Others don't have that thought at all -never
even consider the idea.  Some use Renner, some use Schaff.  Some don't mind
68 gram touchweight, some do.  Some customers don't notice, or care.  I say,
if it works for you, go for it.  I personally have stopped sending out
contracts and doing estimates because I cannot rebuild profitably.  So, I
see where Wim is coming from and most techs I talk to agree.  I spend way
more hours than you do, there are always unforseen problems, etc.  I use
Renner, expensive bass strings, and Brooks, LTD.  I've tripled my prices and
I still have a hard time seeing it as being a wise business decision for me.
I have all the tuning, repair, maintenance, and action work I want, though.
Others have to work at keeping busy.  The markets vary widely.  I say all of
this because you sound like you are doing a personal survey.  Some guys
don't enjoy tuning every day and do shop work to enjoy their time - that was
me.  This is just my little opinion.  Best of luck.  And remember,  when
you're lying there dying, you won't be complaining that you didn't get to
tune or rebuild enough pianos.  $25 or $100 shop time, you're still

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter