Harpsichord

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 23:13:46 -0500

John,

I am by no means an expert on harpsichords, but I did build a Zuckermann
from a kit.  I can answer some of your questions based only on their info
supplied with the kit.

	<<<1.  The coils on the pins were nothing even close to tight - ( some
wraps were seperated from the previous wrap by as much as 3/16".  Is
there a coil lifter similar to the one that we use on pianos? or do you
who work on these instruments use a hook.>>>

No, you do not need to lift the coils.  On the kit I did, the pins had no
holes for the string, so the only way to secure the string to the pin was to
wrap it in the manner you described.  My coils were very close around the
middle of the pin, and distant at the bottom.--JF

	<<<2.  The coils were not level ( how did you ever guess )  Yes, I know we
use a steel tool to level the tops of coils on pianos, but what about on
harpsichords?  My own GUESS was that a piece of very hard maple with a
hole drilled in it to allow the wooden coil setter to slide over the pin,
but not the wire was a thought - and then again that wire is really small
stuff - so how is that done?>>>

It is not necessary or desired.  The coil does not need to be all that tight
or level since the bearing is obtained below the majority of the
coil--hence, the wrapping that you saw.---JF

	<<<3. What angle should the wire be making as it approaches the pins from
the bridge? ( I know that until the coil problems are ironed out that
this angle is going to be anything but correct.)>>>

Memory fails me, but I don't think it is that critical.  You don't want it
too extreme.--JF

	<<<4.  How far above the wrestplank should the bottom of the coils be?>>>

The instructions for the instrument should tell you.  Check to see if the
owner still has them.

I had fun building this one (my only).  It was for a church, and I was
pleased with the results.  But, since I had never played or seen a
harpsichord before, it might not have been done to "spec."  :-)  The
instructions were frustrating at times, though.  I spent a lot of time
reading, re-reading, and again before doing anything major.

If the pins are a little loose, SLIGHTLY tap on them to drive them in a bit
further.  It doesn't take much.

I had trouble with strings breaking in a particular section.  I assume that
the design was flawed, or there was a bad batch of wire.  Zuckermann's
replacement wire kept breaking, so I ordered the stuff from APSCO, which
worked without any problem.  You might keep that in mind for the future.

Hope this helps a little.  I have forgotten much of what goes into building
one.  It's been about 2+ years since I built it, and I've only tuned it
twice since it is used primarily for Christmas services.

John Formsma