Historical temperamentals

Robert A Murphy murphyr@pilot.msu.edu
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 12:48:48 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Dan, et al

I just got back from a week long gig at the Lincoln Center, preparing an 1830
Graf fortepiano for Robert Levin and the Orchestre Revolutionaire et Romantique
(Sir John Eliot Gardiner, conductor).  Gardiner's group and the Academy of
Ancient Music (Christopher Hogwood), with whom I worked with several years back
on a 5-octave instrument, preferred my tuning the instrument in use, in equal
temperament, somewhat to my surprise.

The N.Y.Times reviewed the Yo Yo Ma recording you've mentioned, rather
critically (Sunday Aug.1), not on the basis of his playing, certainly, or even
his attempt at a period instrument spin.  But instead, because of his lack of
understanding the historical context of his historical attempt.

I think I've come to understand the above Period Instrument groups' reasons for
requesting equal temperament in the instances I assisted with, being that the
context of the music being played was better represented by it, instead of the
date of instrument dictating the tuning.    Extinguishers please?

Robert Murphy
Piano Technician
Michigan State University