stupidity

Fri, 6 Aug 1999 18:06:37 -0400

I hesitate to relive this fateful afternoon, but since we're fessin'
up...  About 15 years ago I had scheduled a tuning with a customer who
had asked me to allot enough time to tune for her sister as well, who had
just moved here from another city.  After tuning for the one that
scheduled the work, she sent me off :  "I forget the name of the street,
but it's the first street north of Broadway,  hang a left, and go down to
#243.  Only the painter will be there, and there are some pines in the
front yard.  The piano is in the room off to the right".  I find #243,
the pines are out front, there's a workman's van in the drive, so I open
the door and yell out to the painter, let him know I am here to tune the
piano, and proceed to tune the little Wurlitzer spinet in the room to the
right.  It needs a little regulating too, so I figure I'll throw that in
as a welcome to Columbus.

As I'm finishing up a woman enters the house and looks at me with much
consternation and alarm.  "Who are you, and what are you doing in my
house?"   I explain that her sister asked me to tune it for her, at which
she responded that she didn't have a sister, and would I please leave her
house, NOW!  To wind up the story, it turned out that the piano I was
searching for was TWO streets north of Broadway, not ONE, and I had tuned
the wrong piano in the wrong house!  I explained what had happened,
apologized profusely, and left her my card, saying:  If you ever want
your piano tuned again, I hope you will give me a call".  Needless to
say, she didn't!  I rescheduled the piano I was supposed to tune, making
up a lie for a story.... the truth was too embarrassing.....

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com