Old Knabe Pinblocks

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:14:14 -0400

>Well, then again, having just read your last post about delamination, I'd
>chisel, saw, or otherwise whack out the old block and re-install a new one
>in a more conventional manner without worrying about mortising it into the
>case sides.
>
> Ron N

This is what I'm thinking about, but don't know quite how to attack the
beast.  I've been trying to figure out if I can cut out the Whole pinblock
without touching the stretcher, which does include a large board in pinblock
shape (and similar size) sitting on top of the front portion of the pinblock
that also needs to be 'worked around without destruction'.  That was one
thought.  The other was to take one of those reciprocating saws with about
an 8" blade and carefully cut out the portion under the plate area to
duplicate.  As far as mortising it into the case, those cavities in the
sides of the case are usually pretty large.  I had in mind to make this
thing perhaps 1/2  inch longer than the inside of the case, so that it could
be gotten in and out, and still have some support from the sides of the
case, even if it didn't go the whole way into the mortises on either end.

Wow, what a project... Perhaps it would be a good time to stock up on the #2
schmutz!  :-)
Thanks for the input.

Brian Trout