Bass String Scale

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 21:59:17 EDT

jgunderson@monmouth.com writes:

<< Doug, I have been using Mapes also...  which is one of the reasons I want
 send them specific dimensions rather than just a template.  They tend to
leave a
 lot of unwrapped string between the speaking length ends and the wrap.  I
gusee
 they are erring on the side of caution.  Jon Page suggested using GC Piano
for
 new strings.  I don't know where they are located, maybe he can post that
 information for "inquiring minds".

 John Gunderson, North Jersey Chapter

The problem I have with Mapes and many other string makers, is that I send
them the scale data sheet and they insist on making a scale stick.  Then they
charge more. I like to measure to the within 1 tenth of an inch because it
translates into decimals which computers understand.  If the string maker
would simple use a 1 tenth inch tape measure, he would not need a scale
stick.  One string maker told me they only go to the closet 1/16!  I have yet
to see a computer that understand that!  What is wrong with using 1/10th?
The tape measure is not hard to get.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR