tight pins

Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:06:31 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Newton Hunt <nhunt@jagat.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 1999 6:38 AM
Subject: Re: tight pins

> > Size (diameter) consistency, I would guess.
> >
> > Del
> >
> Well, maybe but I would trust a cut thread more and rolled pins have
> proven themselves to be unacceptable.  Sorting pins with a micrometer
> is best what ever pin.
>
> THe only place I would use a smooth pin is in a harpsichord or similar
> pin.
>
> Have a great weekend.
>
> _Still_ curious.
>
> Newton

Newton,

Hmm.  Did you maybe misunderstand me here?  I think we're saying pretty much
the same thing.

My point was that the tuning pins with cut threads tend to be more precise
and consistent than those with rolled threads.  (I don't think this is an
inherent problem with the type, probably more an unwillingness of the
manufacturer to invest in adequate quality control measures.)  At least that
has been my experience.

Back in "the good old days" when the rolled-thread pins were the only game
in town I did measure each pin and sort for size.  There was often a
variation of +/- 0.005" (0.125 mm) in their diameter.  Sorting was not just
a good idea, it was essential.

These days we use Nippon Denro pins -- blued only -- and have found them to
be very consistent.  So much so that we no longer waste the time measuring
them.

Regards,

Del