Let's hear it!

Rozan Brown rsbrown1@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 23:16:32 -0500

Hi, Ed and all,

I feel like this is directed straight to me.  As some of you know, I've
been on this list (as well as ptg-l and CAUT) for 3 years now, and have
spent sometimes hours a day reading through nearly everything (although
apparently, Ken J., I do not retain everything!).  I never posted anything
publicly until just before going to KC.

I do feel very "close" to the list and that was a major draw to me for
going to the convention this year.  I really wanted to thank people in
person for all of their contributions to me, as well as to put names with
faces, and to show myself a bit more as a contributing participant.  Even
though I've been quiet, I very much feel like a part of this list and that
I know so many of you by your writings.  I've also corresponded off the
list occasionally.  I've wished that I've had something to say here!

I started in this field 5 1/2 years ago as a student of Joel Jones at the
University of Wisconsin in Madison, after 10 years as a software developer
and then another 5 as a stay-at-home mom.

We have a somewhat formal piano technology curriculum here, both in the
theory and hands-on practice of tuning, regulation, repairs, etc.  Some
classroom time with other students, but also virtually as much time with
Joel as I needed or wanted to do pretty much whatever I chose to focus on.
I started working on my friends' pianos, then got some more outside
business, but have never really marketed myself fully.  At this point, I'm
still taking care of my kids and only want to work part-time.

For the past year, I have been working for UW as Joel's assistant, mainly
taking care of the practice room and classroom pianos.  We have about 230
pianos here in our care.  I get to see quite a few different types of
instruments and a fair number of types of problems.

One reason I haven't felt much of a need to post to this list is that Joel
is always still available to me.  I know he knows his stuff.  He's on the
list, too, and we sometimes discuss things that we've read here.  I guess
part of me feels that I would have insulted Joel not to just ask him (he
probably wouldn't really have felt that way, though!).  I've also been a
little afraid of posting a dumb question - I'd really rather look
intelligent!  Mainly, everyone else is doing a good job of raising plenty
of issues.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know these aren't especially good reasons!

Back to your original question:  I am utterly impressed by the quality of
the people that I've met in this business, both here in Madison, and in
Dearborn and KC.  It continues to amaze me how giving of themselves so many
are in what could be an extremely competitive business, especially with
people working in the same market.  I think it says a lot about who chooses
to work with pianos and in this world of music and the arts.

The regional and 2 national conventions that I've been to have been
fabulous experiences for me.  The classes have been great and I've always
met so many really nice people.  I've come home excited to continue forth -
even after my exam last week!

I'm still not sure just where my future lies, part-time or full.  I have
concerns, as some of you know, about just how well one can support oneself
in this business and for how many years, without running a full shop and
buying/selling/renting (and too many physical aches and pains!).  I just
don't know yet what I want to do long-term.

I made it my business in KC to talk to as many people as I could to find
out what they're doing, how much they enjoy themselves, why they do what
they do, etc.  Of course, everybody's stories were pretty unique, just like
you all have different ways of fixing the same broken key.  In general,
I've found people to be pretty happy about their work (the ones who make it
a priority to get to the conventions and contribute to this list...).  The
conventions have been as valuable to me socially as have been the technical
classes.

So, now I'm more public!  I hope to have more to say in future.  Thanks
again for everything!  Time to actually hit that SEND button... ...

Rozan Brown
PTG Associate
Assistant Piano Technician
University of Wisconsin-Madison