Employees

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 03 Aug 1999 21:21:21 +0200

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

> Although a partnership can work, please do one very big, very important thing
> before you get into it. (or if you are already in a partnership, get one
> right a way). Draw up a disillusionment agreement. I don't care how well you
> like your partner, it could even be your brother or sister, there will come a
> time when the partnership will break up. When that happens, whether it breaks
> up amicably, or ugly, if you have a disillusionment agreement all set up, it
> will make the break up so much easier.
>
> Trust me on this one, folks. My partner and I didn't have an agreement, and
> we became bitter enemies, and I lost ten of thousands of dollars.
>
> Willem Blees

Grin.. well of course ya gots to take precautions. There are many kinds of
partnership relations. And "giving away" some part of your buisness doesnt equate
to half ownership of all your tools, machines, puters, etc. Any such relationship
has to be well defined on legal type paper to begin with, just in case as Willem
candidly points out.

In my partnership, we basically share shop overhead expenses. We have an area of
"shared tools" mostly inexpensive everday stuff, and we mark tools that we
reserve for private use. Machine ware is a bit more complicated. He buys some and
I buy some and if one of us breaks something, then its that persons
responsibility to fix it.

Someone said that a typical successfull tech has about enough work for 1 and 1/2
fulltime jobs. My experience is that each of us have our own busy times where we
cant get it all done. Often as not when I am swamped, he isnt and vise versa. So
we are able to cover each other. The result is that as a team, we get the work of
3 done by us two.

But as Willem says,,, be carefull how you set it up if you choose a partner, and
get it down on paper.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.   N.P.T.F
Bergen, Norway