voicing ... Del

Tue, 3 Aug 1999 07:09:06 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Trout <btrout@desupernet.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 1999 11:38 PM
Subject: Re: voicing ... Del

> Hi Del,
>
> Glad to hear the book is coming!
>
> You can put me down for a copy as well.
>
> I was perusing the Apsco catalog the other day and came across a book
called
> "The Piano - It's Acoustics" by V.W. McFerrin.  Have you read it?  If so,
> I'd be interested in your opinion.  (Perhaps others have read it who would
> care to comment?)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Trout
> btrout@desupernet.net

Brian,

This book was published in 1972 by Tuners Supply.  It's not very big -- only
about 190 pages -- and it is a bit dated in some respects, but still worth
having.  It was one of the first books written that took a relatively modern
approach to stringing scales.  McFerrin writes about those as well as the
nature of music, tone quality, etc.  He also wrote one of the first pieces
on downbearing and the various vector forces in the piano that I had ever
seen.

I've had my copy of this book for something over 20 years and I still refer
to it from time to time.

Regards,

Del