More on Tight pins

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 07:51:13 -0500 (CDT)

>Actually I wasn't suggesting anything like that, rather some type of
>modified high-wattage soldering iron clamped on to each one for a couple of
>minutes.  I've never heard of anyone doing this sort of thing but I was
>just wondering what heat might do to tight pins.  My theory is that the
>heat should expand the pin and thus compress the wood.  When it cools the
>pin would then shrink to it's original size making it somewhat looser.
>Maybe I'll try one or two just to see what happens.
>
>Rob Goodale, RPT

Perhaps more likely, heat would drive moisture out of the block, which would
shrink and enlarge the hole, easing the fit... until the block re-absorbed
humidity... if it didn't scorch the block. Consider too, that a couple of
minutes apiece, times 230-some pins is an eight hour day. You could pull the
pins, ream the block, and repin in that amount of time without wondering
what your fix will surprise you with next week. Why set yourself up to be
haunted by old problems revisited when you can get into brand new ones just
as easily? <G> Imagine yourself sitting and watching a soldering iron and
kitchen timer all day, with lots of time to think about what might go wrong...

Question: Did you use cut, or pressed (rolled) thread pins?

 Ron N