More on Tight pins

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Tue, 03 Aug 1999 02:01:19 -0300

Hi Robert,
I would stay away from heat.
I always remember a dealer, years ago that I used to do some work for.
He took a piano on trade that had some rust on the pins. He phoned me
up, and was quite proud of the fact, that he had fixed that problem, by
spraying them, with WD40.
I informed him, that if it got into the block, he might have created a
bigger problem.
He thought he could solve that as well, he took a Bernzomatic torch to
the tuning pins, and the strings broke left right and centre.  He told
me, the breakage was  almost instantaneous.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada