Employees

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 09:35:22 -0500

I would think that hiring a contract tech would be the way to go.  No
insurance or benefits, they just get a percentage of the tuning fee.  I did
that the first 5 years I was in business here.  If you pay 60% as Wim
suggested, you can be sure they will keep a list of your customers, and when
they have a list big enough, they'll quit and work the list on their own for
100%.

If you pay 75% or so, and make the appointments (keeping contact with your
customers) and also do the book keeping on billed customers, the tech might
be willing to settle for loosing some of the fee in exchange for the book
keeping and scheduling.

If you hire someone as an employee, you'll be paying benefits, taxes,
insurance etc. and they'll still want to keep the customer list and go
independent.  I don't think most employees understand how valuable the
benefits package is and only see how much less money they take home than the
tuning fee.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt@swbell.net <mailto:dporritt@swbell.net>