Employees

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 18:04:38 EDT

Dear list,

Having built a rather sizable business without ever working at a store or
someone else's shop I am at a loss as to how to work out certain aspects of
my employee's compensation.  I am not looking for anything which will get us
into trouble, just some general guidelines or examples of other's experience.

As my shop work has grown I have hired people to fill whatever my needs were
there, but I no longer have the time to adequately service even a fraction of
my tuning customers.  I don't want to lose contact with all these people
because they are a great source of work for the shop.  I have been
considering hiring a full time tuner for quite some time but cannot figure
out a compensation package.  Should I pay them a straight hourly rate or a
commission or combination?  What kind of commission should I pay taking into
consideration the cost of scheduling, advertising, insurance, taxes, good
will, the risk of losing a customer?

 I have never been involved in such a situation nor have I ever talked to
anyone who has and have really no idea what to do.  I would appreciate any
input.

Andrew Remillard