Hammer return springs on Whitney spinet

Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:17:00 -0400

Hello -

I ran into a Kimball Whitney spinet today ( and a lovely creature it
was!) that needs ALL of the hammer return springs replaced.  One of the
models with no bridles, so the springs are IT, and they're shot.  I run
into this so infrequently, I wondered what some of you might suggest.  I
can take the spring rail out and replace as was done originally, or screw
on new springs on the front side of the rail.  Any pros and cons?
Pitfalls to avoid?  Trying to get a few more miles out the ol' girl
before she starts hacking and coughing up blood....

Thanks!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com