Baldwin studio ringing improvement

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:37:48 -0500

Dear friends,
I have always tried to minimize the ringing in Baldwin studios (echo) by
replacing the damper felt and adding follow and until this week have had
only marginal success decreasing the echo.  I got damper felt made
specifically for Baldwin used on the larger uprights that they make with
very long and narrow dampers. The felt is in 4 sections as opposed to 2 in
most dampers.  Replacing only the double and single wound string felt
improved the damping tremendously and Kent Webb has saved me after I
recently replaced entire sets with common damper configurations with only
"some" improvement.  I redid the wound strings only and I'm looking like I
know what I'm doing again with at least a couple of customers....  The only
thing I would like to add is that you must be careful to put the felt on as
low on the head as possible to allow for the hammers to clear.  That was
difficult with such a long damper.
LANCE LAFARGUE, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANO SERVICES
New Orleans Chapter
Mandeville, LA.
II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II
lafargue@iamerica.net

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to
make them all yourself."