Noisy 'D' Strings

Lew Jones lewjone@prodigy.net
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:16:38 -0400

    We appreciate the response to our 'D' situation.  Thank you all for
your inputs.
    A bit of history on this particular 4 year old 'D' may help.
    The University purchased the piano directly from Steinway New York.
A technician from a Steinway dealer tuned the piano the 1st month.
    It was determined early on that this was a 'D' with 'B' hammers- the
tails were too short.  We subsequently hung shanks, flanges and Abel 'D'
hammers from Wally Brooks.
    The noisy strings were noisy with the original hammers and remained
so with the new hammers.  Also, from the beginning, note 22 (F#) was
being modulated in the same manner as note 21 (F), to a lessor extent
(all three wires in the unison) and still is.  This piano gets tuned 2-4
times each week and is tuned at A-441.  The condition has not been
noticed by the professors or the musicians who have played this
instrument.  It is the decided favorite of the two by those that play
both.  It is only a strange condition for the technician/tuner.
    This piano has been all over the stage, including the orchestra pit
(as has the other 'D') when being tuned.  There are no computer fans,
etc., that we have found that might cause this problem.  This piano is
tuned mostly at 6 AM when the hall is dead quiet.
    This 'D' has an enormous amount of power and plays very well.
    Again, thanks to everyone for your responses and continued inputs..

Lew Jones and Joe Brown
lewjone@prodigy.net