Noisy 'D' strings

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 23:31:28 EDT

<<The
three strings of the unison sound very nearly alike.  The unison is
tuneable but at best has a slight beat (vibrato or tremolo).  It sounds
as if this unwanted frequency is being generated by a fan or some such
in the air moving equipment, but this is not the case.>>

Lew & Joe;
 Have you tried tuning the note with the first string of the unison, bass
side, a little sharp.... the middle on pitch.... and the right a trifle flat?
( the object being to cancel out the "tremolo" effect)  Sounds strange I know
but sometimes on these 'D' thingees this will take care of the sounds you are
describing.  If you will take a close look at the notch you will "probably"
find that it is not parallel with the agraffe, with the furtherest edge of
the notch being next to the bass. This is a problem on two 'D's in my care
and is what I think Gina was talking about on 'her' "D" problem child. I have
also repinned  a 'D' or two where the last bridge pin, front side, was
misplaced in 'front' of the notch edge.
Good luck.
Jim Bryant (FL)