Noisy 'D' strings

Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:57:49 -0700

Lew Jones wrote:

> A four year old Steinway 'D', on stage at an area University has a
> situation on which we invite comments.
> Note 21, F (1st steel string unison on the treble bridge), sounds as if
> the tone is being modulated at a certain frequency (about 12 Hz).  The
> three strings of the unison sound very nearly alike.  The unison is
> tuneable but at best has a slight beat (vibrato or tremolo).  It sounds
> as if this unwanted frequency is being generated by a fan or some such
> in the air moving equipment, but this is not the case.
> A 25 year old 'D' on the same stage has not displayed this same
> condition,
>
> Lew Jones and Joe Brown
> lewjone@prodigy.net

  ---------------------------------------

Lew,

Without giving this a whole lot of thought, two of them still do come to mind:

1)    Is there any chance that someone has replaced the two left strings with
wire of a different diameter?  I'd guess it would not be the right string
since the adjacent unison is not affected.
2)    Is it possible that there is a kink in the speaking length of one of the
wires.  Note that you may not be able to see this...you can generally feel
them, however.

Regards,

Del