Who's left on the list?

Rodney Pritchett rodneycp@bellsouth.net
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:50:05 -0400

Frank Weston wrote:

> CIH has destroyed my system, and from the volume of mail I see, it got a
> lot of others.  Has anyone got a workable fix?  From what I see, it fried
> the bios and about the first meg on the hard drive of each machine.  I'm in
> favor of the death penalty for whoever perpetrated this very expensive
> prank.
>
> Frank Weston

Frank,

Sorry about the CIH hit.  Don't know if others were hit, or are in
hiding until tomorrow, but traffic does seem to be down in volume from
normal.

Here is the url for F-Prot, a dos based anti-virus program:
http://www.complex.is/cgi-bin/home_pager
Being DOS based, you can use it without having to have Windows fired up
- press the F8 key when the screen says "Starting Windows 95" and you
can boot to a safe mode dos prompt (option 7, I believe) where the
program will do it's thing.  Of course, you may have to use DOS commands
to get it installed on your computer.  There is a way to have it run
from a floppy to disinfect the computer, but that would have to be done
from a "clean" machine.

It will handle the CIH virus, and best of all, it's free for personal
use.  It is updated regularly and is considered to be one of the best
anti-viral packages available.

Hope this will assist,

Rodney Pritchett
Marietta, GA