Need tech/shipping advice

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:27:08 EDT

Lance writes:
>Also, is there a good reason why I should secure the action before he
leaves i.e. strips of wood beneath the keys and tie down hammers to rail?
>What would actually happen if he doesn't get that done?

   I have taken care of a number of road pianos here, these are pianos that
travel on their  side in trucks all the time.  I never noticed pinning
problems or key looseness in these pianos, (Steinways and Yamahas),  and
there was never any thing done to tie the hammers or keys down.
    I don't think it makes much differnce, even though the moment arm is
greater between the centerpin and knuckle than it is between the two bushings
of the hammer shank.  In normal position, the weight is born by the two
bushings and the jack, but the forces of play are probably far in excess of
the strikeweight of the hammers hanging sideways on the centerpin when the
piano is turned on its side. .
Regards,
Ed Foote