Do it yourself piano tech.

jennfee@ibm.net jennfee@ibm.net
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:45:19 -0400

I just had to share this.

Got a call from a panic stricken woman today: "I think I've destroyed my
piano!! I need someone to come look at it asap before my daughter hears
it!!", etc..
She proceeded to tell me that there were some loose tuning pins, and all
she did was pound them in a bit with a hammer. "Now every key sounds
like a chord!"
I had a good laugh, put on my cape and agreed to see her after my last
tuning in the afternoon.
You can imagine what it sounded like. Fortunately she didn't seem to
damage anything, so after a few quick pitch raises it started to sound
chromatic again. She realized now how foolish she had been and accepted
my ribbing with a sense of humor. (I asked her if she would mind
changing the head gasket in my car while i finished up.)
Here's the kicker. It had just been tuned this morning, and IT WAS HER
PIANO TUNER THAT INSTRUCTED HER TO POUND THE PINS!!!
My Jaw dropped to the floor. She didn't know wether he was a guild
member or not and, probably just wanting to put the whole embarassing
incident behind her, declined to give his name. Too bad. I really would
have liked to have a few words with him.
Needless to say, I have a new client.
 not much else to say except these kinds of things really infuriate me.
sorry about the rambling.
just venting.

Dale Davidson
Ottawa, Ontario