A new topic/request

DGH9442@AOL.COM DGH9442@AOL.COM
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:20:14 EDT

I am not so sure that this would be a good thing to do for the average run of
the mill customer.  My average customer does not really care what makes his,
or her, piano work, they just want it fixed.  It is somewhat similar to going
to a mechanic, and the mechanic printing you out a schematic of your engine
system.  I, for one, would  feign interest in the schematic, but in the end,
still would not quite understand what was going on.
I think the idea has merit, but only when it involves either another
technican, or an exceptional customer who understands the intricate workings
of a piano.  I harken back to the old saying "A little knowledge is a
dangerous thing".  I would be afraid that perhaps the customer, armed with
what they think is a definitive knowledge of the workings of their piano,
would undertake to do work on the piano themselves.  The ultimate worse case
scenario, would be that after they had managed to inflict more damages to
their instrument, they would call you back to fix it, and you would end up
with a real mess on your hands.  I speak from experience here, as I have had
customers "work" on their player pianos, and then call me to fix it, after
they have failed to do anything but make it worse.
Remember the fable of "Pandoras Box".