broken keys

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 09:13:21 EDT

Et Al;
 I have the action from an Adam Schaff grand in the shop for repair and
regulation.
 One of the repair thingees is broken keys at the balance rail hole. In the
past there have been ten broken keys repaired. The existing repairs appear to
have been made quite some time ago and the piano has had no use for at least
twenty years.  All of the existing repairs were made with 'double edged razor
blades' broken in half and imbedded in 'hide glue' on each side of the key !
There is nothing covering the hide glue/keyside which appears to have been
clamped with 'wax paper'. The repair is very neatly made.

 Question: Has anyone seen this particular type repair before ? I never had
and I wonder if it was a method that was common in some areas. I have no idea
where the piano originally came from.
Jim Bryant (FL)