Just a question about Freedom of speech on this list

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 18:59:15 EDT

<<Hi list,
 My only problem with freedom of speech on this list is that not all
subscribers are Piano Technicians,>>

Mike M.;
 The only "problem" with freedom of speech is that it 'is' free and as such
is open to abuse from all sides. Other than that there is  no "problem" with
freedom of speech. While a reasonable person will put reasonable limitations
on what they say, it is not reasonable to put limitations on what the
majority say because of one person or a few persons.  Talking about a piano,
or a PSO, should not involve anything but facts and opinion. That is all we
have anyway, isn't it? Personal attacks, an entirely different matter, by a
person, or persons, because of anothers conversational use of free speech is
objectionable to be sure but as long as it is allowed it will continue.

  The use of PSO in the extant example is certainly justified as both
Kimball's LePetite and S&S grands are PSOs. So too are digital keyboards
PSOs, if they looked like amplifiers sales would drop off huh? :-)

  When a group of professionals cannot jokingly discuss a bonafide subject on
a professional forum without being criticized, where is the "freedom of
speech"?

   Pianotech was started 'by' and 'for' and "is maintained by" piano
technicians and as such should be about piano service/technicians not
"customers".  Pianotech is an open list where 'anyone' may subscribe, but is
primarily for technicians and PTG sponsors other sites more suitable to the
"customer" and their needs. I feel that all should be welcomed equally and
that all will benefit as they allow, for as we serve ourselves by gaining
knowledge we serve the "customer".

 Finally, while I agree that no unsupported accusations should be made about
a given brand of piano the same should be true of the technicians on the
list. Freedom of speech is, and must be, a collective thing and not a
privilege allowed a PC few to selectively employ as they see fit.
Jim Bryant (FL)