even tone?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:10:53 EDT

Stephen writes:
>The curious thing is that similarity of spectra is not a characteristic
>of 18th and 19th C pianos, and, in fact, composers frequently took advantage
>of tonal differences between registers, both conciously, for instance when
>passages are repeated at the octave (e.g. Pathetique, 2nd mvt.)

Greetings,
   Astute post there,  I like it when people start talking about sunrises in
music.  I would like to delve deeper into the use of octave transpositions
for tonal shaping.
   In the Waldstein,(Op.53) we see a theme introduced in Emaj in measure 35,
(for the really warped among us, this is the "Johnny Carson Show" theme at a
different tempo!(:)}})  In virtually any of the tunings of the day, this is
going to be a very contrasting key to the opening tonality of this piece.
This passage is then played an octave lower in measure 39.
    On the piano of 1800, I understand that this would cause a profound
change in the spectra, since the registers would be so different, but was
that the major reason? What I notice on the modern grand, ( In something like
a Kirnberger)  the dropping an octave results in halving the tempering, with
the "expression" also subdued.  This produces a much more relaxed feel to the
theme's (originally brilliant) restatement after 4 bars.
    My question, for Stephen is , is the effect of tempering less influential
in this situation than the difference of voice to be found in the registers?.
(Ya see, I have these pet theories that I MUST go out and find proof for and
I certainly need to be careful not to let the facts get in the way.....(:)}}
Regards,
Ed Foote