Shape of things to come?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 05:35:44 EDT

John writes:
>the Moonlight Sonata, man are they
>just the darkest and then the contrast of light of the 'sunrise' to me
>is outstanding.  I have heard this piece a thousand times in ET and it
>did not move me as much as your CD.  Am I imagining it when I explain
>the difference as the use of an unequal temperament?

Greetings,
   No, it is not your imagaination, it is the physiological effect of unequal
tempering used by a master composer. This is what I think the art music of
Vienna, ( and much other music of the period) was intended to do.  It is a
subtle, yet profound, effect.  It is often shocking, at first, to the ET
saturated ear, (which most of us have),  and those that don't enjoy shock
usually take a little time to acclimate.  This aspect passes quite quickly,
but some listeners simply cannot let go of what they are used to.  It seems
like you recognized the additional texture and complexity very quickly.

>I believe in as little
>as 15 years time at least 50% of pianos will be tuned in a temperament
>other than ET

  I agree, though I will be disappointed if it takes that long. Half of my
customers are now in at least a Victorian.   With the mass media's ability to
create wide exposure quickly,  I expect it to hit a little faster.

>(talk about poking the proverbial hornets nest with a
>stick).  That should focus the discussion off personalities and back to
>piano related business.
   As far as the hornet's nest, let'em buzz.  Brer' Rabbit found the tar baby
offensive, so he hit it, and then hit it again, until he was totally
entrapped with the tar himself.  There is a lesson in there for the
cyberworld.
    As soon as the discussion centers on attacking one another's beliefs, the
progress toward understanding the muscial assets involved stops.  I have
nothing to criticize about another's tuners procedures if they differ.  I
assume that we all know our own clienteles and thus, I have no basis to tell
another how to run their business.

Thanks for the note,
Ed Foote
(I don't mind Amazon selling our records, the important thing is to spread
the concept.  I will have copies at K.C.)