Cyber ears

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:50:52 +0200

Marvin McDonald wrote:

> Richard and Jos,
> I have used an ETD since I started tuning.  Many out there will tell you I'm
> handicapped and I won't disagree but I can tell you this.  I used the Sanderson
> Accutuner for many years and have tuned for several very astute pianist as well as a
> gentleman who is one of the in-house composers for the Seattle Symphony.  I have a
> rather large clentel database and I tune with Mike Reiter at the Universities here in
> Tacoma.  I now use the CyberTuner in a laptop and I can tell you that is tunes just the
> way you do.  It is based on aural tuning principles and listens for the very same
> things you listen for before deciding that the note is correct.  The CyberTuner does
> not just take a computer generated number, based on a formula, and use that as its
> basis for a targe, but it analysis the piano being tuned and generates the best senario
> for that piano as your tuning.  This method is 99% actuate.  Granted there may be times
> when you'll come upon an extremes that the program will not handle well but then you'll
> catch that and make the needed adustments as you proceed.  I am using the Cybertuner,
> thanks to Mitch Kiel, to help me learn and sharpen my aural skills so that I can pass
> the RPT exam this summer.  Its a great learning tool as well.
>
> Hope this helps you all little bit.
>
> ---Marvin McDonald

I have no doubt that what you say is the case. But the Cybertuner costs alot, requires a
laptop which also costs a lot. We have a fellow over here in Norway which touts the
program, looks great and he is a very respectworth technician. Not the kind of guy you just
write off out of hand. I know and respect Mitch Kiel also. So you dont have to convince me
of its worth.

My point is just that the readout of the kind of information I (personally) would like is
not readily available on the cybertuner. I wasnt designed to do what I am asking of it. I
was under the impression tho that the cyber tuner did calculate a tuning based on the
sampling of fundementals and partials for all A notes on the piano. Sounds like it pretty
much has to use some math in the process. Be that as it may, what I am proposing leaves all
the decicion making to you, would simply re-enforce and for that matter help build your
aural skills with out costing an arm and a leg, and without taking up very much space.

thanks for the info, and please give my best to Mitch. (He might not remember me so just
say its Joe Lairds younger brother)

regards

Richard Brekne