Cyber ears

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 08:49:39 -0500 (CDT)

>I have thought much along those lines. A tuning machine that simply repeats
in real
>time the actual beats per second registered for any given interval. This
would leave
>much more control in the hands of the tuner. It would also be an invaluable
learning
>tool with regards for getting a feel for beats per second.

Richard,
Back in 1978(?) at a regional seminar here in Wichita, someone showed up
with a couple of prototype machines. One had a digital readout, and was
intended as a tuning aid, I think, and another was a beat enhancer with
microphone and earphones to pick up, clarify, and amplify the beats during
tuning. I didn't pay much attention to them at the time because I still had
too many basic survival skills to learn and didn't have any brain cells to
spare. I don't know what became of either project (anyone remember this?),
but what you describe here should be quite doable in software. It would have
to take measurements from the piano and compute a tuning, like existing
programs, and figure interval beat rates from the measured partial
structure, adjusted to the computed tuning. I'm just not sure how much use
it would be, since the actual frequency of the notes would have to be
figured to generate the beat rates, the visual display gives you an
indication of where you are. Then again, a second visual indication of the
actual measured beat of a test interval against the computed optimal beat
rate could, indeed, be interesting.

Then again, something that "merely" measures and records beats of ascending
interval progressions and visually graphs them without judgement as to the
frequencies involved could be a flexible and comparatively simple aid to the
aural tuner trying to set temperaments of any particular flavor or blend
across scale breaks.

Interesting thought.
 Ron