Shape of things to come?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 07:16:41 EDT

Greetings,
John writes:
> for me the outstanding feature of the CD is the
>clear and different key color of the various pieces.  I assume that this
>was the aim of the CD, and IMO it succeeds in demonstrating the key
>colors that a Well Temperament offers.

   Thanks for such kind words,  and yes, as you astutely observe,  the choice
of the four sonatas was done mainly by their key signature,  with chronology,
and my personal preferance thrown in the mix.  I was keenly aware of how
certain keys sounded when following anothers, and this order was meant to
take the noviate listener on a harmonic journey that would somehow be
cohesive, yet still adventurous enough to be of continuing pleasure.  It is a
"sampler" of the keys.
   I may have made a mistake leading off with something as heavy as the
"Pathetique", but I wanted to open the door with a decisive departure from
our tonal landscape. That middle Ab section demonstrates the use of a full
comma in the harmony to create the unrelenting tension I thought LVB may have
intended for this mvt.  I am always open to opinion about this, since we are
charting somewhat new territory when we tune pure thirds and full commas on
45,000 lbs of string tension!
Thanks again for the note,
Regards,
Ed
( and I am competing with Amazon.com huh? gee,  I still lick the envelopes
here myself...(:)}}})