Heavy action on Steinway "L"

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:25:25 +0200

Greg Newell wrote:

>     I spent a fair amount of time so far and bought the gram weights
> from pianotech along with a larger sized box of s,m,l and xl lead
> weights to install. As I played with them I placed the desired weight of
> 50 grams on the key and tapped the stack a few times and nothing. I
> repeated this adding gram weights until I reached the point when the
> hammers would reach letoff within 3-4 taps on the stack. I read high
> 70's in the bass gradually coming down to mid 60's in the treble. I then
> tried the opposite way of putting on the desired weight and then laying
> lead weights on top the key to reach letoff the same way.

There is an excellent but expesive book on the subject action weight and
mass by Ed McMorough of Seattle Wash. He is a registered tech and is listed
on the ptg page where all the techs are listed. His approach is a bit
radical and of course its controversial. The reading is very good tho, lots
of food for thought and it does give excellent results. Its definatly worth
a read.